Wednesday, January 18, 2006


I found this information on www.polarbearsinternational.org/bear-facts/
Emma


" Polar bears are a potentially threatened (not endangered) species living in the circumpolar north. They are animals which know no boundaries. They pad across the ice from Russia to Alaska, from Canada to Greenland and onto Norway's Svalbard archipelago. No adequate census exists on which to base a worldwide population estimate, but biologists use a working figure of perhaps 22,000 to 25,000 bears with about sixty percent of those living in Canada."

6 Comments:

Blogger allaboutbears said...

Emma, where you surprised to learn that there are 22,000 to 25,000 polar bears? Mrs. Murphy

10:16:00 AM  
Blogger Michele said...

Emma, what an interesting post about polar bears--and such a lovely picture that yoou included, too! But now I'm curious about the difference between an animal being "threatened" and being "endangered" in terms of survival. What's the difference? (They both sound pretty serious to me!).

That reminds me, have you read the picture book by John burningham called, "Oi! Get Off Our Train!"? There's a ploar bear in that book and quite a few other threatened or endangered animals...

3:52:00 PM  
Blogger Michele said...

I forgot to say that you gave an excellent answer to my earlier question about how many bears there were--not quite as many as I had hoped there would be. BUT I was fascinated to learn that polar bears aren't found just in the Arctic!

I have another question for you, now. I am from Australia where we have koalas. Is a koala a bear?

3:55:00 PM  
Blogger Bullmoosie said...

Emma,
Wow, this is very interesting. Now I know about polar bears. They are very cute but not so cuddly. Would you cuddle with one?




Jack

9:04:00 PM  
Blogger allaboutbears said...

your comment is cool. IS this true that emmam said
polar BEARS
HAQ

9:48:00 AM  
Blogger allaboutbears said...

Your comment is a good comment
but want do polar bears
eat in the

9:48:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home